The real expert riders of horses let the horse know immediately who is in control, but then guide the horse with loose reins and seldom use the spurs.
- Sandra Day O’Connor
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. Time isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing.
Many people don’t like meetings and wonder why people’s time are wasted in meetings because of the following reasons;
- It is time wasting
- It is the major cause of backlog in workers’ output
- People are forced to participate in the discussion of subjects they have little or no idea
- People are sometimes invited to rubber-stamp the decision of the executives
- Most decisions taken at meetings are never implemented.
- Meetings are sometimes sources of conflict generation rather than conflict resolution
Next time you participate in a departmental meeting, watch out for the following signs of dislike of meetings.
- The first one or two seats next to the Managing Director / Chairman will not be occupied. People prefer sitting far away from the Managing Director / Chairman to avoid eye contact or any involvement.
- Notice how many people sit with their hand supporting their chin. Some participants’ posture, with their hands stuck to their mouth, is indicative of their unwillingness to contribute.
- Those who speak attempt to conceal the truth, either to deceive others, or to keep themselves out of trouble. Truth is often bitter, and is even more bitter during meetings. People do not like rocking the boat.
- Watch eye contacts of participants, you will realize that people listen to those they like.
Are meetings of any value? How much do people remember of what was discussed in the previous meeting? How many think they were party to the decision taken at the meeting and willing to ensure its implementation? Are there substitute to meetings? Is it true that meetings are fora for the garrulous and salesmen?
We are what we repeatedly do, Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.